Thanks to Pinterest I have hundreds of new recipes to try (as if my dozens and dozens of cookbooks didn't already have enough!). This one was a big hit at my Dad's 70th birthday party back in September, and I made it again today for our Christmas lunch at work.
Pepperoni Pizza Rolls
Thanks to Dori at Riches to Rags by Dori and Tonia at The Gunny Sack for this great recipe. They both have step-by-step pictures, by the way. I wasn't thinking "blog it" when I made them this morning or I would have taken some myself.
I did change the original recipe a touch this time and only used mozzarella cheese...ok, string cheese cut in pieces. You can get 7 perfect-sized pieces out of one piece of string cheese :) I also forgot the Parmesan - gasp! I know, I know...what is a pizza bite without Parmesan. Or Parmeesheean, as my Dad says. I didn't have any Italian seasoning either, so I just used oregano. Ack, I also brushed with butter after baking instead of egg before baking (oregano and garlic after baking as well) and baked at 400° for a tad longer than 20 minutes. Guess I changed it a bit more than a touch. Hope they taste ok! I'll let you know. They do look good though, don't they?
3 cans buttermilk biscuits, not the flaky kind (10 biscuits per can)
60 pepperoni slices
Block of cheese
1 beaten egg
1 jar pizza sauce
1. Cut the block of cheese into 30 squares (1/2" - 3/4").
2. Flatten one biscuit and layer pepperoni, cheese, pepperoni.
3. Gather the edges of the biscuit around the filling, and squish gently to seal. Repeat with remaining biscuits, pepperoni and cheese.
4. Place pepperoni rolls in 9x13" baking dish. Brush with egg and sprinkle with Parmesan, Italian seasoning and garlic powder (or whatever you want really...see my note above).
5. Bake at 425° F for 18-20 minutes.
Serve with warm pizza sauce for dipping.