Search This Blog

Friday, March 21, 2014

Thankful Thursday

Yes, it's Friday, and this post is titled "Thankful Thursday", but it's been quite a week! 

Daughter #2 broke her toe on Monday.  She and #1 Son were playing kickball in the basement, and actually getting along - something I relish with a happy mom's heart, because it seems few and far between these days!  They're 12 and 14, and are complete opposites in many ways.  Plus, they can't help but pick on each other...EVERY DAY it feels like!  But I digress.  Daughter #2 went to kick the ball and missed, kicking the back of #1 Son's leg.  She couldn't put any pressure on her foot, couldn't stand or walk Monday afternoon, so we iced, elevated and Motrined (yes, that is a word, as of right now) the rest of the day.  She still couldn't bear weight Tuesday morning, so off to the walk-in clinic we went.  I didn't even try her regular pediatrician, knowing that if she needed x-rays we'd be sent somewhere else anyway.  After three hours at the walk-in clinic, the results came back - fractured 4th right toe at the growth plate.  Great!  We were fortunate enough to get an appointment with the orthopedic doctor that afternoon, and after almost three hours there Daughter #2 had a beautiful, multi-colored blue/pink/yellow cast.  Even though most toe injuries only require good support through the use of sturdy shoes, the ortho felt that since the fracture was at the growth plate and since Daughter #2 isn't finished growing yet, a cast would be the best option for healing.  The toe/foot would be protected from further injury and it would have the support it needed.  Thankfully, the doctor feels she only needs to be in the cast until the end of the month.  She's getting the hang of walking in the boot and doesn't think she'll need the help of the crutches much longer.  She's even said she thinks she'll be able to manage riding the school bus next week, instead of being taken to and picked up from school.  

So Wednesday was a normal day.  Daughter #2 was at school, I was at work...normal, right?  (Backstory: The Hubster hadn't been feeling well for the past couple weeks, so he finally went to the doctor on Tuesday.  They did blood work and said they'd call with the results).  This is where Wednesday becomes less than normal.  The nurse called him Wednesday saying, "You need to get to the ER now", as his enzyme levels were through the roof.  Ok, if that's not enough to scare you, I don't know what is!!  We got to the ER about 6:45 p.m. Wednesday, and it was PACKED! For the middle of the week, I couldn't believe how busy it was.  It took us about 45 minutes to be called back, and the doctor was right in to see him.  Ordered blood work and an ultrasound.  IV started, blood taken, and then we waited.  And waited.  And waited!  Finally, about 9:30 they take him back for the u/s.  He gets back to the ER room and we waited.  And waited.  And waited.  No doctor, no nurse, no nothing.  Around 11:00, the ER doc finally comes in and says that he's still waiting on the u/s results, but the blood work shows enzyme levels over 1800!  After doing the little bit of research I could, normal lipase levels should be between 0-160.  No wonder he was feeling lousy!  Shortly after that, the admitting doctor came in and said that the diagnosis was pancreatitis and that he wouldn't be going home.  We sort of had a feeling when we left for the hospital earlier that night that they might keep him, so we were packed and ready (unfortunately).  Finally, about 1:30 a.m. Thursday, a nurse came in with transfer papers so he could be moved upstairs.  We waited.  And waited.  And waited, AGAIN!  About 2:30 a.m. we were finally upstairs and in a room.  The Hubster is hooked up to an IV for fluids and given Dilaudid for pain.  At least he was able to sleep a little bit.  Me...not so much.  Anyone who has been in the hospital with a loved one knows what I mean.  The "recliner" chair was less than comfortable, but I tried to make it work - for about 2 hours.  I couldn't take it anymore, so I climbed into the empty, second bed in the room.  It was the one time I was thankful to NOT be in a private room in a hospital.  I was able to sleep about another hour, between the beeping of machines and nurses coming in and out taking the Hubsters vitals.  At least this part of the floor was fairly quiet otherwise.  

By Thursday morning, his lipase level was down to 1000, still well above where it should be, but coming down at least.  IV all day Thursday and nothing by mouth.  More blood work and glucose checks.  We finally got the u/s results showing no gallstones (which can contribute to pancreatitis), or anything else that shouldn't be in there.  With a family history of cancer, the C word was in the back of our minds, so we both breathed a sigh of relief when we got the good results.    

So here it is Friday, and we're still in the hospital.  We've gotten the final report from the doctor at last.  Because the Hubster does not abuse alcohol, has not had an injury to his abdomen, doesn't have gallstones, and has not been to Trinidad recently, the doctor feels that his pancreatitis was caused by the combination of medicines he's taking for his Diabetes.  ** SIDENOTE: 24 cases of pancreatitis were reported in Trinidad after patients had been stung by the scorpion, Tityus trinitatis ** His lipase level has returned to normal and he's been ok'd to start on a "clear liquid" diet.  So, the IV has been stopped and the Hubster's happily slurping on yellow Jello and lemon Italian Ice, and beef broth as I type.  He didn't like the broth.  I don't think he's ever been so happy to be on "clear liquids", especially since he hadn't eaten anything solid since lunch time Wednesday!  The whole purpose of IV fluids only was to allow the pancreas to reset itself, basically.  Allow it to stop producing food-digesting enzymes, and help it heal.  The doctor is putting the Hubster back on insulin and removing one of the combo pills he has been on.  Now, we're waiting on someone to come talk to us about managing the insulin, since we've never had to deal with that aspect of Diabetes before.  The Hubster's always just taken pills.  Hopefully, adjusting his meds, diet and referring him to an Endocrinologist for continued care will keep his pancreas happy.  

So this week I am thankful.  I am thankful that Daughter #2 and #1 Son didn't make foot to foot contact, or I could have two kids in casts.  I am thankful that Daughter #2's injury wasn't worse than it was.  I am thankful that the Hubster's u/s didn't show signs of gallstones or anything worse.  I am thankful that a change in meds/diet should be all that's needed to make the Hubster healthy again.  I am thankful that I have a God who is always with us, even when we don't have a clue what's going on.  I am thankful for family and friends looking out for us, praying for us, and taking care of the kids while we've been in the hospital.  I am thankful for the many blessings that God bestows upon us, each and every day!

"Oh give thanks to the Lord,
for he is good,
for his steadfast love endures forever!"
~ Psalm 107:1 ESV

"But blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord,
whose confidence is in him.
They will be like a tree planted by the water
that sends out is roots by the stream.
It does not fear when heat comes;
its leaves are always green.
It has no worries in a year of drought
and never fails to bear fruit."
~ Jeremiah 17:7-8


  1. What a trying week, and one with which I can empathize. I'm so glad that the outcomes are looking positive, and hopefully you'll soon be able to catch your breath!

  2. Trying indeed! I'm praying that we can make it a full week without seeing a doctor :)